Sunday, June 10, 2012

6. Asian Paradise Flycatcher – The Heavenly Apparition


Terpsiphone paradisi
Size 50 cm (incl. tail) M/F dimorphic

Like in the lores of yore, when kings and commoners, on hearing about the unparalled beauty of Rani Padmavati or Noor Jahan, would travel high and low craving  a single glimpse of the queen, I was going around like one possessed after hearing about the Paradise Flycatcher. I roamed the woods of Goa to no avail; I missed it by a whisker in Phansad Bird Sanctuary and didn’t even get a whiff of it in Dehradun – all places where my friends had reported seeing it. Finally, just like that, I see it gliding outside my window during a trip to Manali.  Thereafter, I saw a whole bunch of them flitting from one apple tree to another, outside my hotel room, with their looong white two feathered tail trailing behind them, waving like white flags in the breeze. The little orange feathered females they were trying to impress appeared nonchalant, but I was beside myself with joy and spent my days watching, waiting and chasing them the whole day, camera in hand.

Adult Male

Characteristics : The pictures above hardly do justice to this lovely bird. The adult male’s silvery white body and jet black head with a crest with two very long ribbon like feathers for a tail makes it quite striking. The young male and female have chestnut coloured feathers with whitish underbelly. The young male can be differentiated by the long tail feathers.   

Female



Young males


These birds have a harsh call and a slightly pleasanter version when mating (guess you can’t have everything!)

Distribution : Found all over the subcontinent, resident in some places and migrant in others.

Food: they feed on small insects and flies. 

Breeding : Their nesting season is February to July. They tightly weave their cup shaped nests with grass and fibre covered with cobweb placed between forked or angled branches. 3-5 pale pinkish eggs with reddish blotches and speckles. Both parents share parental duties.
                                               NEXT Page

No comments:

Post a Comment